The figure of the Black Belt continues to increase in demand among companies, which is why today it is one of the jobs that experts in business and resource management most desire. So, in this article, it is explained what is a blackbelt and what are the benefits of having one in a company. Likewise, it mentions what the Six Sigma or Six Sigma certification is, what are the requirements to obtain it and some of the most important educational centers where the exam can be taken.
What are the functions of a Six Sigma Black Belt?
Currently, competition in the market is getting stronger, due to the large number of companies and organizations that exist, both physical and virtual. For this reason, companies are looking for ways to improve your efficiency and reduce costs, So, they get programs and resources with which to execute project management. One of the most effective tools for achieving these goals is Six Sigma, which uses a systematic, data-driven approach to identify and eliminate defects in business processes.
In this context, the Black Belt as a professional is a key player in the implementation of Six Sigma in a company. This is a professional trained in the best way in the Six methodology or strategy (six) Sigma. In addition, he is the one who has the responsibility of lead projects of improvement in a company and look for the resources so that these plans are carried out.
The Black Belt is an expert in identification, analysis and resolution of problems, He also has the ability to apply Six Sigma tools and techniques in all areas of the company. Therefore, it represents a new profession, which is one of the most requested today, it should be noted that his name comes from English where it translates as ‘black belt’.
Why is it beneficial to have a Black Belt in a company?
The main functions of a Black Belt are to lead improvement projects in the company and coordinate work teams involved in these projects. Thus, the black belt is responsible for ensuring that projects are carried out on time, with the established budget and that the expected results are achieved.
In addition, the Black Belt bears the responsibility of training and developing the Green Belts, which are the people ranked below them, also other team members in the Six Sigma methodology. Another element that you must manage is communicating the results and progress of the project to the company leaders.
In this sense, having a Black Belt in a company is beneficial for several reasons. Firstly, this person has the ability to identify and eliminate the business process issues. In this way, you achieve greater efficiency or cost reduction. As a second point to highlight, the Black Belt has the ability to lead improvement projects in the company and coordinate work teams, which increases productivity and quality.
In the same way, with an expert in business management, the company improves the business culture, because promotes collaboration, teamwork and innovation. It also increases the reputation of the organization, as customers recognize quality and efficiency in business processes.
What is Black Belt certification?
Black Belt Certification it is an accreditation where it is demonstrated that a professional received training in a course and has experience in the use or application of the Six Sigma methodology. This certification is granted by recognized organizations, such as the American Society for Quality (ASQ) or the International Association for Six Sigma Certification (IASCS).
It should be noted that the Black Belt certificate is a requirement for many jobs in which experience in the Six Sigma method is required. Likewise, it can be a useful tool for professional progression and a salary increase in a job.
How to certify yourself as a Black Belt?
If you want to become Black Belt certified, you need to complete a training program or master’s course, as well as experience implementing Six Sigma projects. Training programs are available online and at educational institutions, which vary in length and cost. After completing such a program, it is necessary pass an exam certification, where the theoretical and practical knowledge of the Six Sigma methodology is evaluated. There are several educational institutions that offer training programs and information to pass certification in Six Sigma.
- American Society for Quality (ASQ), known as ASQ, is a professional organization that offers a variety of training programs, including Black Belt certification. Their programs are available online and in person.
- International Association for Six Sigma Certification (IASSC), which is an independent organization that offers certifications.
- Villanova University, this campus has a training program leading to Black Belt certification.
- Georgia Tech, It is another of the universities where they give the possibility of being trained professionally in business management.
- Purdue University, ranked as one of the most famous campuses in creating black belts) for project management.
These are just some of the many educational institutions that have training courses in Six Sigma, it is important to research and compare different programs before make a decision. So, you can be sure of finding the program that best suits your needs and professional goals.
The requirements to obtain the Black Belt certification in Six Sigma may vary. depending on the organization that grants the certification. However, here are some common requirements that businesses ask for:
- Complete a training program: Where it is not only necessary to take it, but also to pass a course that covers the concepts and techniques of Six Sigma. The program must cover the principles of the Six Sigma methodology, tools or procedures for practical application in solving business problems.
- Complete a project: The Black Belt certification candidate is required to complete an improvement project that demonstrates their ability to apply their knowledge and skills. Said plan must be a real business problem and has to show a significant impact on the company.
- Work experience: Which is one of the common requests that organizations require from job candidates. Length of experience varies by organization, but generally, at least 3 years of work experience in a Six Sigma related role is required.
- Pass an exam: Most certification organizations require candidates to pass a certification exam. The test assesses theoretical and practical knowledge of Six Sigma. In addition, it also examines the person’s ability to apply this knowledge in real business situations.
What are the skills that a Black Belt must have?
A Black Belt must have a set of skills technical and leadership, since it will not only control the plans and projects of the company but also all its human resources. In that sense, he will be an influential person in the training of other employees who aspire to advance in his position. Here are some of these technical skills:
- Deep knowledge of the methodology Six Sigma and associated tools and techniques.
- ability to analyze data and make data-driven decisions.
- Skill to identify and solve problems.
- Fluency to communicate results and progress of the project.
For its part, regarding the management of groups and human resources, it is necessary to show leadership skills such as:
- ability to check and lead work teams, in addition to coordinating projects.
- Looseness to train and develop Green Belts, also other team members.
- facility for communicate effectively with company leaders and other team members.
- Capacity for to motivate and engage team members.
In this way, the Black Belt as a professional is a key factor in the implementation of the Six Sigma methodology, since this figure has the ability to lead improvement projects in the company, coordinate work teams and train other team members. In addition, the Black Belt has technical and leadership skills that are essential to the successful implementation of Six Sigma in a company.
It can be noted that the Black Belt certification is a valuable tool with which skills and experience in the Six Sigma methodology can be demonstrated. In the same way, it represents a requirement for many jobs in which experience is required, in addition, the Black Belt is beneficial for the company, since it can favor efficiency, reduce costs, increase productivity and improve the reputation of the company.